How do I know if I need a food cottage permit or if I have to prepare food I am selling for my business in a certified commercial kitchen?

September 18, 2023

Determining whether you need a cottage food permit or if you must prepare food in a commercial kitchen in Washington State depends on the nature and scale of your food production business. Washington State has specific regulations governing cottage food operations, and it's essential to understand them to ensure compliance with the law. Here are some key factors to consider:

Cottage Food Operation (CFO) Permit:

Type of Food: Cottage food laws typically apply to non-hazardous, low-risk foods such as baked goods, jams, jellies, and certain canned products. Examples include cookies, bread, muffins, and pickles.

Annual Sales Limit: In Washington State a cottage food operation may not exceed $35,000 in gross annual sales.

Commercial Kitchen:

Type of Food: If you plan to produce potentially hazardous foods (e.g., foods that require refrigeration to prevent spoilage or foodborne illness), you may be required to use a commercial kitchen. Potentially hazardous foods typically include items like meat products, dairy, and certain sauces.

Volume: If you anticipate producing food items in larger quantities that exceed the cottage food sales limit, a commercial kitchen may be necessary.

Complexity: Foods that require more complex processing or preparation may also fall under commercial kitchen regulations.

Local Regulations: Be aware that some local jurisdictions in Washington may have additional requirements or regulations, so it's essential to check with your local health department or permitting agency.

To determine your specific requirements, follow these steps:

Check the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) Website: Visit the WSDA website or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information on cottage food regulations in Washington State. They may have resources, guidelines, and application forms.

Contact Your Local Health Department: Reach out to your local health department or regulatory authority. They can provide information about local regulations and permit requirements that may apply to your specific location.

Understand Food Safety Requirements: Regardless of whether you fall under cottage food or commercial kitchen regulations, you will likely need to follow certain food safety guidelines, such as proper labeling, storage, and hygiene practices.

Remember that regulations can change over time, so it's crucial to verify the current requirements and stay informed about any updates in Washington State's cottage food laws and commercial kitchen regulations. Always prioritize food safety and compliance with local and state regulations to operate your food business legally and safely.

For more info on food cottage permits click here.

Explore Questions

I have an LLC. How do I file my taxes with the IRS each year?

What is the Beneficial Ownership Report and does my business have to do it?

I need to hire my first employee. What do I do?

How do I know if I should do my own accounting or hire an accountant to do it for my business?

In what business situations should I consult an attorney?

What types of business insurance do I need for my business?

What is included in Washington State Excise Tax?

How can I find out if a physical location I am interested in has the right zoning for my type of business?

Can an LLC have investors or shareholders?

Do I need a resellers permit?

How can I ensure that an independent contract I have hired won't be classified as an employee of my business?

How do I understand permitting requirements if I am opening a physical store location?

How much should I charge for my products and/or services?

When should I update my business plan?

How do I know if I need a food cottage permit or if I have to prepare food I am selling for my business in a certified commercial kitchen?

Should I elect to have my LLC taxed as an S Corp?