What types of business insurance do I need for my business?

November 27, 2023

Let's walk through the types of business insurance that would be crucial for a business in Washington State. Picture your business as a hero, and these insurance types as the different pieces of armor and tools to ensure your success:

General Liability Insurance (GL):

This is like your basic shield. It protects your business if someone gets hurt on your property or if there's damage to someone else's property because of your business activities. So, if a customer slips on a wet floor or if your product accidentally causes damage, GL has got your back.

Property Insurance:

Consider this as the fortress for your business. It covers the physical assets of your company—like your equipment, inventory, and the building itself. So, whether it's a fire, theft, or some other unexpected event, property insurance helps you recover without a massive financial hit. Keep in mind if you are leasing your location the owners insurance on the building usually only covers damages to the exterior, not interior.

Workers' Compensation:

Think of this as the safety gear for your team. If an employee gets injured on the job, workers' comp takes care of their medical bills and provides compensation for lost wages. It's essential to ensure the well-being of your workforce. The Department of Labor & Industries in Washington State handles workers comp insurance. https://lni.wa.gov/insurance/

Commercial Auto Insurance:

If your business involves wheels, this is your vehicle armor. It covers the vehicles used for business purposes, protecting you if there's an accident, theft, or damage. So, whether you're delivering products or visiting clients, your wheels are protected.

Business Interruption Insurance:

This is like a safety net for your revenue stream. If an unexpected event forces your business to temporarily close, business interruption insurance helps cover your lost income and any extra expenses incurred during the downtime. It's your business's financial recovery plan. Unfortunately, most policies won't cover harm from pandemics.

Cyber Liability Insurance:

In the digital age, this is your online shield. If your business experiences a cyber-attack or a data breach, cyber liability insurance helps cover the costs of recovery, including legal expenses and notifications to affected customers. It's crucial for safeguarding your online presence.

Professional Liability Insurance (Errors and Omissions):

If your business provides services or advice, think of this as your wisdom protection. It covers legal costs if a client claims your professional advice led to financial loss or harm. It's like having a safety net for your expertise and reputation.

We often have new businesses ask where they can start to look for business insurance. Usually, the best place is your current personal insurance provider (car insurance, home owners insurance etc.) as most of them will also offer commercial insurance. As always, its best to shop around.

Explore Questions

I have an LLC. How do I file my taxes with the IRS each year?

What is the Beneficial Ownership Report and does my business have to do it?

I need to hire my first employee. What do I do?

How do I know if I should do my own accounting or hire an accountant to do it for my business?

In what business situations should I consult an attorney?

What types of business insurance do I need for my business?

What is included in Washington State Excise Tax?

How can I find out if a physical location I am interested in has the right zoning for my type of business?

Can an LLC have investors or shareholders?

Do I need a resellers permit?

How can I ensure that an independent contract I have hired won't be classified as an employee of my business?

How do I understand permitting requirements if I am opening a physical store location?

How much should I charge for my products and/or services?

When should I update my business plan?

How do I know if I need a food cottage permit or if I have to prepare food I am selling for my business in a certified commercial kitchen?

Should I elect to have my LLC taxed as an S Corp?