I have an LLC. How do I file my taxes with the IRS each year?

February 13, 2024

As a small business owner with an LLC structure, filing your federal taxes involves a few key steps. Here's a general overview:

Choose your tax filing method:

LLCs have flexibility in how they are taxed. By default, single-member LLCs are treated as disregarded entities and file taxes as part of the owner's personal tax return (Form 1040). Multi-member LLCs are taxed as partnerships unless they elect to be taxed as a corporation.

Gather your financial records:

Collect all relevant financial documents, including income statements, expense records, and any relevant tax forms (e.g., 1099s, W-2s).

Fill out Form 1065 (if applicable):

If your LLC is taxed as a partnership (a multi-member LLC), you'll need to file Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership Income. This form reports the LLC's income, deductions, credits, etc.

Prepare Schedule K-1:

Each member of the LLC receives a Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) that reports their share of the LLC's income, deductions, credits, etc. This information is used to report income on your personal tax return.

File your personal tax return (Form 1040):

Include the information from your Schedule K-1 on your personal tax return. If you have a single-member LLC, you'll report your business income and expenses on Schedule C (Form 1040).

Pay any taxes owed:

Depending on your LLC's income, you may need to make estimated tax payments throughout the year. If you owe taxes when you file your return, you'll need to pay them by the tax deadline to avoid penalties and interest.

Consider hiring a tax professional:

Tax rules for LLCs can be complex, especially for multi-member LLCs or those with significant income. A CPA or tax professional can help ensure you comply with all tax laws and take advantage of any available deductions or credits.

It's important to note that tax requirements can vary based on the specific details of your business and its structure. Consulting with a tax professional can help ensure you meet all your tax obligations.

Explore Questions

I have an LLC. How do I file my taxes with the IRS each year?

What is the Beneficial Ownership Report and does my business have to do it?

I need to hire my first employee. What do I do?

How do I know if I should do my own accounting or hire an accountant to do it for my business?

In what business situations should I consult an attorney?

What types of business insurance do I need for my business?

What is included in Washington State Excise Tax?

How can I find out if a physical location I am interested in has the right zoning for my type of business?

Can an LLC have investors or shareholders?

Do I need a resellers permit?

How can I ensure that an independent contract I have hired won't be classified as an employee of my business?

How do I understand permitting requirements if I am opening a physical store location?

How much should I charge for my products and/or services?

When should I update my business plan?

How do I know if I need a food cottage permit or if I have to prepare food I am selling for my business in a certified commercial kitchen?

Should I elect to have my LLC taxed as an S Corp?